RE: ssh hangs

Igor,
thank you very much for your reply.  I dispersed more coments below

> >1. Consider deleting your ~/.ssh directory on your ssh client
> >    computer and running the 'ssh-user-config' script that
> >    is provided with OpenSSH (in /usr/bin).  This should
> >    allow you to do the minimal amount of configuration.
> >    Then copy the public-key file that it creates in your
> >    ~/.ssh directory to the ssh server machine's ~/.ssh
> >    directory.
>
> ok, I did this.  Now I get this output:
>
> $ ssh -vvv -F ./ssh_config -p 80 andersonbd1@24.169.25.75
> OpenSSH_3.7.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.7c 30 Sep 2003
> debug1: Reading configuration data ./ssh_config
> debug1: Applying options for *
> debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
> debug1: Executing proxy command: exec connect.exe -H
> banderso@surf.proxy.com:80 24.169.25.75 80
> debug1: identity file /cygdrive/c/.ssh/identity type 0
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your $HOME is somehow set to 'c:\'.  Is your /etc/passwd up-to-date?

ok, I changed /etc/passwd, setting my home to /home/banderso. I get the same result. Either way I made sure to explicitly refer to my ssh_config that ~/.ssh/ contained the generated keys.

> debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /cygdrive/c/.ssh/id_rsa.
> debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
> debug3: key_read: missing keytype
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
> debug3: key_read: missing keytype
> debug1: identity file /cygdrive/c/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
> debug3: Not a RSA1 key file /cygdrive/c/.ssh/id_dsa.
> debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
> debug3: key_read: missing keytype
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug3: key_read: missing whitespace
> debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
> debug3: key_read: missing keytype
> debug1: identity file /cygdrive/c/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
> Enter proxy authentication password for banderso@surf.proxy.com: ###I enter
> my password
> debug1: Calling cleanup 0x41bf10(0x0)
>
> BTW, I'm having a hard time copying and pasting this from the console
> because it only works in the dos flavored console. If I open an xterm, then
> all the output appears at the xterm except when it asks for my password.
> This appears at the dos console. Then when I type the first letter of my
> password - it exits. Do I need to redirect input somehow when I start
> xterm?

This doesn't sound right.  Are you using Cygwin's 'ssh'?  Please run 'type
-a ssh' from the bash prompt in an xterm and 'which ssh' from the command
console, and post both outputs.

same for both consoles:

banderso@DEVCPM7R ~
$ type -a ssh
ssh is /usr/bin/ssh
ssh is /bin/ssh

banderso@DEVCPM7R ~
$ which ssh
/usr/bin/ssh

Also try using '/bin/ssh' explicitly.
same result

looks like they're the same:
$ ls -l /usr/bin/ssh
-rwxrwxrwx    1 banderso Users      223232 Nov  5 10:47 /usr/bin/ssh
$ ls -l /bin/ssh
-rwxrwxrwx    1 banderso Users      223232 Nov  5 10:47 /bin/ssh

Another guess: are you using text mounts?
I don't know - I'm not familiar with this.

I am running:
Win2k 5.00.2195 Service Pack 3.
what's easy way to find version of cygwin? I recently updated, but I can't find the number.

Thanks,
Ben