Re: merging mingw and cygwin

Got an error from qmail the last time I sent this.  Trying again...please, forgive any duplication.

On 11 Oct 2003 at 19:01, Edward Peschko wrote:

However, #1 and #2 are a puzzle: why are they two separate projects? Its
>terribly confusing; both have the same executable files created (ln and
>rm, for example) so its hard to use one with the other; and its got to be
>a maintenance nightmare to support separate patches for mingw and
>separate patches for cygwin.

	Mingw requires a different runtime than does Cygwin.

	Mingw is short for Minimalist-Gnu for Windows.  It's function, at least in my mind, is to act as a "native"
gcc/g++  build environment which does not rely on either posix or any unix-like support.

	Afaik, whenever a new Mingw distribution comes out, Cygwin gets a copy of that distribution, probably minus
the  Mingw specific binaries and utilities.

	Paul G.