Re: How to resolve a link?

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 07:56:02PM -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
>Chris,
>
>At 18:29 2003-07-22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:23:13PM -0400, David A. Cobb wrote:
>>>Recently, I was trying to do "strace Xemacs . . ."
>>>First I got a "No such file" error, so I changed to do "strace `which
>>>xemacs` " -- still a failure.
>>>
>>>which xemacs returns "/usr/local/bin/xemacs.exe.lnk"; that is, my normal
>>>handle to launch xemacs is a symlink to the executable whose name or
>>>location varies with the version-number.
>>>
>>>Given that its purpose is to locate what executable file one will use in
>>>a particular environment, should not 'which' resolve the symlink and
>>>return its target?
>>
>>No.
>>
>>>What would happen on *nix?
>>
>>The same thing as on cygwin.
>
>Really?
>
>Since Cygwin "strace" is not a Cygwin program, it does not get Cygwin
>symbolic links resolved. Whereas on Unix or Linux, a symlink would be
>resolved by the kernel if it was used by strace and it (strace) would
>successfully get its target executed.

AFAIK, we were talking about "which" not strace.  I thought it was obvious
why strace wasn't working.  strace will translate cygwin paths these days
but it won't (yet) follow cygwin symlinks.
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org