Re: Output suppressed with ssh or telnet

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Peter Wohlers wrote:

> So, this wierdness ges better - Mitch Nibbelink wrote me with this:
>
> Mitch Nibbelink wrote:
>
>  > I'm seeing the same thing, not subscribe to the mailing list...
>  >
>  > My current workaround (since I have activestate perl installed) is to
>  > # point to activestate perl
>  > $ export PATH=/cygdrive/c/Apps/Perl/bin:$PATH
>  >
>  > # run net start from activestate perl instead of bash
>  > $ perl -e "system('net start');"
>  > These Windows 2000 services are started:
>  >
>  >    Apache
>  >    COM+ Event System
>  > ...
>  >
>  > Icky, but works.
>  >
>  >  --Mitch
>
> So, if you're ssh'd into a cygwin box, things like 'net start' don't
> display anything, and if you use cygwin's perl to do a system call, it
> still doesn't. Use Activestate while ssh'd in and it works as it should.
>
> Yet while on the console, all works as it should. Anyone have a clue why
> this might be behaving like this?

Well, Cygwin ptys are in reality pipes.  Thus, Windows applications don't
see them as consoles, and may not behave the same way as on the console.
I suspect that looking at the differences between fhandler_tty.cc and
fhandler_console.cc will at least provide a clue.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu