Lack of characters

Has anyone read my request for help and has any idea of what could be
happening with my Cygwin installation? I didn't have any problems
with accented characters until last Saturday. Then I formatted and
reinstalled Windows and now I have these problems:

- I cannot paste accented characters into rxvt. They are replaced
with weird symbols. I can type them and I can copy them, but I cannot
paste them back;

- accented characters become question marks in filenames listed by
'ls'. The document 'Auto correção.doc' becomes 'Auto corre??o.doc.

- if I use 'dir', it becomes 'Auto\ corre\347\343o.doc'';

- if I pass the output of 'dir' to a file, I see the same problems,
but if I pass the output of 'ls', everything changes! The accented
characters are printed correctly, but the color codes are printed!
See this sample line:
	-rw-r--r--    1 Luc      all        219986 May 28 15:27 Auto
Correção.txt

- cat file.txt displays the file's contents correctly, even if it
contains accented characters;

- if I try to zip a file whose name contains accented characters with
a shell extension program I use (PowerPro), I get an error message
regarding some "Sharing/Network-protection error". If the file's name
does not have any accented characters, it zips up fine.

- if I try to gzip a file whose name contains accented characters
(with or without the shell extension program), it compresses without
complaints, but accented characters become weird symbols inside the
archive.

Hannu offered me some kind help, but it has to do with typing into
rxvt, and I don't have any problem with that. Like I said, I didn't
have any problems with accented characters until last Saturday. I
formatted and reinstalled Windows and now I have all these strange
problems. Any help greatly and desperately appreciated.

--
Luciano ES
<lucianoav@ggmmxx.nneett>