Sending files over the serial port

I'm trying to send files over the serial port using xmodem, ymodem
and zmodem.

The idea was to use lsz from http://www.ohse.de/uwe/software/lrzsz.html

- I'm having trouble configuring the serial port to e.g. 38400, 8
bits, no parity, no handshake, 1 stop bit.

I believe stty can be used to configure the serial port:

$ stty -F com1 38400
stty: com1: unable to perform all requested operations

- For now I've set CYGWIN=reset_com, locking the serial configuration
to 9600-8-n-1.

However, when I try to run upload a file via zmodem, it appears as if
the line below does not successfully redirect stdin/stdout to com1. The
command returns immediately, as if reading from the serial port does
not block.

$ lsz --zmodem foobar.zip >com1 0<&1
Retry 0: Timeout on pathname

Transfer incomplete