Re: Another postinstall failure

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Maron Tapia, Jose Fernando, ENDESA S.A. wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've been using cygwin for the past few years, on windows 98 and 2k.
> Recently, my win2k-SP1 machine was "platformed" (is that a verb?) to company
> standards (Windows 2000 Pro, SP2, Spanish), so yesterday I downloaded
> everything and performed a fresh install (setup 2.340.2.5 downloaded from
> cygwin.com, "Download from Internet", mirror: http://archive.progeny.com ,
> and then "Install from local directory", which is different than c:\cygwin
> ), and now I'm in a similar situation to that outlined in this thread
> (sorry, just the web link:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg00406.html ). Basically, the
> postinstall scripts start complaining a lot (installl-info: not found;
> basename: not found; sed: not found; etc.), *but* the /etc/paswwd and
> /etc/group files are created, whereas the "home" directory isn't, so I'm
> left with a system that doesn't recognize any commands unless I prepend
> "/bin/" and almost all my shell scripts just error out. I've tried as a user
> with administrative rights, as a normal user, as a user not logged in to the
> domain controller, but I always end up in the same situation (also tried
> default and full installs). I checked out the thread I mentioned above, and
> here are some answers to questions asked there (will be quoting from the web
> pages). I created user "cygwin" to do all the tests, and always deleted the
> full cygwin tree and registry entries before installing (the same thing
> happens wth the default user, BTW):
>
> >What happens when you type sh -c /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh.done?
> It just executes the command.
>
> >Do you have an /etc/passwd file? If not please type
> >mkpasswd -l -c > /etc/passwd
> >mkgroup -l -c > /etc/group
> >and then getfacl /etc
> Yes, I have the /etc/passwd file (attached, along with /etc/group), here's
> the output for getfacl:
>
> bash-2.05b$ /bin/getfacl /etc
> # file: /etc
> # owner: cygwin
> # group: Usuarios
> user::---
> group::---
> mask:rwx
> other:rwx
> default:other:rwx
>
> And here's my (very short!) cygcheck:
>
> bash-2.05b$ /bin/cygcheck -srv
>
> Cygwin Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
> Current System Time: Thu Apr 24 16:01:46 2003
>
> Windows 2000 Professional Ver 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2

>         c:\WINNT
>         c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem
>         e:\synergia
>         e:\avb
> `id' program not found
>
> None of the log files say much (they show all programs being installed and
> the scripts being executed), but I can attach them if necessary. Any help
> will be greatly appreciated! (sorry if it turns out to be just a dumb
> mistake on my part... :(  )
>
> TIA, Joey.

Hmm, are you logging in as "cygwin"?  If not, your login user is not in
/etc/passwd.  If it's a domain user, run "mkpassdw -d -u YOURUSER >>
/etc/passwd" (you may also want to run "mkgroup -d >> /etc/group").

It looks like "cygcheck" stops before it can produce enough useful
information.  What's the output of "ls -ld /bin"?  What's the output of
"mount"?
	Igor
P.S. FYI, if you do eventually get cygcheck to provide the full output,
please attach it instead of providing it inline.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II