Re: Multi-threaded programs

Hello Ignasi,

The answers to all these questions really depends on what you want to do,
exactly: do you want to build a native Windows application with a free
compiler, without every using any POSIX functions? If that is the case,
you don't need Cygwin (the DLL) and you should use the no-cygwin options.

If you want to use Cygwin as a first step towards POSIX portability, you
should use the Cygwin DLL and the proper POSIX functions, such as
pthreads. You can then start taking out the Windows API calls and use the
POSIX calls in stead. Of course, because Cygwin is just a DLL in a Windows
environment, you'll still be running in the Win32 subsystem and you'll
still have access to its features - but you can do this as a step toward a
real POSIX system..

HTH

rlc