RE: sudo and runas

Gar-Gar,

At 03:04 2003-03-08, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> At 14:22 2003-03-06, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> >Randall R Schulz wrote:
> >
> >>To Whom It May Concern,
> >>
> >>Beware programmers named after Roman gods with eyes (and faces) on
> >>both sides of their head bearing pre-compiled software. He sees the
> >>outside _and_ inside! Get it? He's trying to see inside your system
> >>even while he seems to be looking the other way.
> >>
> >>Pretty slick, Chris!

Oh *I* get it now!  "January", as in the Roman god "Januaricus" (spelled back
then with Roman numerals of course), had two faces.  The joke then is that
*Chris* January, descendent of this Roman god of programmers (they used punch
cards back then I believe), is really *duping* the OP into revealing his PC's
innermost secrets by distributing in binary form a... dare I say it... Trojan
<Dr.-Evil-pinky-to-lip-thing>?

Yup, except that in my sources the deity in question is known as Janus:

1. The god of gates and doorways, depicted with two faces looking in opposite directions.

You'd think given the affairs in the corporate and financial world of late that maybe the Janus mutual funds folks (<http://www.janus.com/>) might want to change their name. They even use the traditional depiction of Janus, the two-faced head, as their corporate logo.

..

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

Rands