Eterm/imlib2 on Cygwin/XFree86, lt_dlopenext() fails.

Has anyone successfully build a fully functional Eterm on Cygwin/XFree86? I
spent most of the weekend trying to build it. I did get quite a bit help
from searching the archive, but I didn't see one single success report.

Anyway here's where I stand:

I installed cygipc, built all the prerequesite for imlib2 and imlib2, and
successfully built Eterm. The problem I have now is that I cannot set any
background bitmap because imlib2 cannot load the loader of the images.

I placed some debugging messages inside imlib2 and rebuilt it, and here's
what I found to be the root cause: it tries to load the loaders dynamically
with lt_dlopenext(), but cannot get a handle. I have all the image loaders
with .a and .la extension under the /usr/local/lib/loaders/image/ directory.
The parameter being passed into lt_dlopenext() is the file name with the
extension being stripped on purpose (e.g.
/usr/local/lib/loaders/image/jpeg), since from the comments lt_dlopenext()
should be able to figure out the right thing to do. But the lt_dlopenext()
returns a NULL.

Attached is my cygcheck output. I also applied the KDE patch to
Cygwin/XFree86 for the shared memory support. The imlib2 adn Eterm versions
are:

imlib2-1.0.6
Eterm-0.9.2

I cross posted to the cygwin group since I thought it could be be related to
libtool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Simon