Re: pdksh installation

"Christopher Faylor" <cgf-cygwin at cygwin dot com> wrote in message
news:20030226200209 dot GA24694 at redhat dot com dot  dot  dot
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:45:36PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, you (whoever you are) wrote:
> >>I have read in the cygwin-apps list that pdksh is available.  Until it
> >>is officially announced and available in the package list, what is the
> >>correct procedure for installing it?  Can I use the setup program to
> >>install it?
> >>
> >>I guess this question applies to any new package that is not officially
> >>released.
> >
> >This depends on who is releasing the package.  Sometimes people have
> >their own setup-aware mirrors, with the appropriate setup.ini file.
> >Their announcements of packages then usually contain something like "To
> >review, point your setup.exe to <some web address>".  You can then use
> >setup.exe to install the packages.
>
> Let me say again that I think it is a very bad idea for random people to
> be installing the package before it is officially ready.  As a package
> maintainer, I would find questions or bug reports from newbies quite
> annoying before the package is released.
>
> "I saw you were digging a hole for your pool so I filled it with water.
> How do I make the water nice and clear?  It seems to be a little too
> muddy for swimming."
>
> If you want to sign on to help review packages then that is, of course,
> welcome.  However, if you have to ask how to install an .tar.bz2 file
> then you have lots of learning to do before your insight will be useful.
>
> I could even, if I was so inclined, pull the "off-topic" card for this.
> Packages not included in the cygwin release are not what the cygwin
> mailing list is supposed to be used for.
>
> Of course, I wouldn't do something like that because I'm not that...
>
> No.  Wait a minute...  Hmm.
>
> cgf

Well, I guess this would be the wrong mailing list for the question.
Perhaps 'applications' would have been the correct place.  But, I still
think the question is a good on that deserves and answer.  I'm sure that
those that do know how to install the pre-release packages didn't always
know how to do it.