From: Kris Warkentin kewarken@qnx.com
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:27:34 -0500
To: dl@cs.oswego.edu, cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Malloc failing too soon under XP/2000

I'm running Windows XP with 1/2GB RAM and 2GB swap.  Running Cygwin 1.3.18.
Consider the following program to use as much memory as possible:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <malloc.h>

int
main()
{
        void *x;
        unsigned long long mem=0;

        while((x=malloc(500000)) != NULL){
                mem += 500000;
                memset(x, 0, 500000);
                printf("allocated %u\n", mem);
        }
        return 0;
}

If I compile and run this, it consistently stops at about 780MB.  If I
compile with -mno-cygwin, it doesn't fail until almost 2GB have been
allocated.

Any comment?  Is there some sort of flag I can compile with to make the
allocator more aggressive?  The situation it's failing in is one where a
very large library is being linked and ld is running out of memory in spite
of quite a bit being available.

cheers,

Kris