Re: Why won't my files link?

OK, my first suggestion is to tackle this problem the same
way you would on Linux.  How do you find the library or object
file which contains a symbol that you want when you're on Linux?
I'll give you a hint.  You need to use 'nm'.  'grep' can also be
handy.

I get the impression that you think there is something "mysterious"
going on here with Cygwin that can only be answered by having
some in-depth knowledge of Cygwin or it's internals.  Maybe that's true
but I've seen no evidence that your problems are so rooted thus far.
Forgive me if you consider this an insult but I'm wondering how much
experience you have with compiling and linking programs, particularly in
a GNU environment?  If it's not much, then you probably want to consult
web resources or a good book/tutorial on building with gcc.  So far, the
issues you've posted all would be well answered by such resources.  This
list really isn't the source for questions on basic tool operations and
understanding how to resolve rudimentary problems with compiling and
linking.  Obviously, if your problem is more complex than that and the
problem is Cygwin-specific, then this is the place to talk about it.  If
this is the kind of problem you have, state the details and someone here
will very likely provide some feedback.

Thanks,

Larry