Why won't my files link?

So I am new to Cygwin, but I am enjoying it so far.  I am having a
problem, though, please respond if you can... I have three C files (all
ending in .c), and I can compile them with GCC by using the -c switch.
Then, I want to link all three of the object files that I have created
(ending in .o) and make an executable which uses all three.  My file
called main.c has two include lines, which says to include
"io_functions.h" and "fun.h".  Then I am using this line to link
everything and make the executable...

gcc -o main fun.o io_functions.o main.o

I have tried this exact thing with the exact same files on a Linux system
and it works fine, but for some reason under Cygwin it is not working.  I
am thinking that the problem lies in that my files are not being accessed
correctly.  For instance, when I want to run executables I have made in my
cygwin/home/Owner directory, I have to use "./executablename" because for
some reason commands do not go directly to the home directory (this is in
the Cygwin FAQ).  I am wondering if I need to do something to make all of
the files in  my home directory viewable or available when doing the
compile command above.  Any ideas?  Thanks so much.

Nick Miller