Re: getopt_long behavior

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 04:29:47PM -0500, Chris Morgan wrote:

I orginally posted this message some time ago.  Having all of
the cygwin tools lacking the ability to accept arguments in
arbirtary order makes it more difficult to use them(I often do
grep "string" *.c and then rerun with -i at the end).  Is
there anyway to get around this without recompiling the whole
cygwin suite from source code?

No.
Not entirely correct, Chris. One may simply link a static copy of the [getopt.c getopt.h getopt1.c] files to the desired executable. That's what I did with the gettext library, because gettext's selftests depend on non-POSIXLY-correct commandlines (and reordering the tests wouldn't have worked).

So, if you want a "foo.exe" that allows argument re-ordering, rebuild foo and add getopt.o & getopt1.o to the link command. Or build a **static** library "libmygetopt" from those two .o's, and use -lmygetopt. And no recompiling of the cygwin kernel needed.

--Chuck