Re: Suppress newline under cygwin bash

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> This is csh / tcsh's way of suppressing the terminal newline usually
> supplied by the "echo" command. It also documented in the man page to
> work with the separate echo executable, "/bin/echo.exe", but it does
> not do so for me (for whatever reason).

The man page is out-of-date.  If you look at the info file, you see that
you must provide the -e switch to /bin/echo to enable this.

% /bin/echo -e 'testing\c'
testing%

% /bin/echo 'testing\c'
testing\c
%

I recommend using pinfo instead of man, since man pages are often
out-of-date if there's an info file.

Dave