Re: NTEA extensions for uid/gid

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 04:28:08PM +0100, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> > Yes, I am a member of the administrators group.
> > No, the administrators group is not mentioned in /etc/passwd (but it is in
> > /etc/group)
> Add it using mkpasswd -l and everything's fine.  It's added automatically
> when running mkpasswd -l so I wonder why you deleted it.
I set up a telnet server on the NT/4 box and didn't want anything but me
in the /etc/passwd file so only I could log in.
(As I understood it from the various descriptions on the web on how to do
this, removing everyone but me is a good security measure under Cygwin,
isn't it?

[snip]

> > > Other than that, the file modes are ok, assuming you didn't set umask.
> > What umask would you have me set, and where?
> > Adding umask=0666 to my CYGWIN environment variable (assuming that's what
> Uhm... no.  Just set your umask in your .profile to something
> sensible like 022.  If you don't know the concept of umask, just
> read the bash man page.
Learn something every day :)

However, shouldn't the -E option have changed the mode of the "world"
file? My mount table shows "noexec" for /home and "world" is still
executable - as is the "doe" file I just created with Explorer, but not
the "john" file I `touch`ed.
"treat all files under mountpoint as non-executable" (manpage for mount)
leads me to believe this may be a bug.

umask works fine, by the way: set to 022, "john" appeared read-only for
everyone but me.

Ciao,

rlc