Re: rxvt, once again...

At 16:43 2002-12-23, Dockeen wrote:
"I've never had any trouble resizing character windows runningBASH and Vim under Windows 2K"

Hmmm, my results are pretty much the opposite. In Win2000, I can only resize the window in the vertical direction. In Win98SE I could only resize it very slightly, if at all. This is true (for me) in general for command shell operations. Maybe I have something set wrong. (I take pretty much for granted that I do, since I trust you completely Sir Randall) All I know is RXVT gave me a resizable, very good window from the get-go. (Ph.D. proof even)

Wayne

Wayne,

You do realize, don't you, that you cannot change the size of the window's backing buffer by dragging the window borders or corners? The window's size is limited by the buffer size, so it simply cannot be made wider than the backing buffer's width by border or corner dragging. To reall change the buffer size, which is what I consider resizing the window (I don't like horizontal scroll bars much, for one thing), you have to go to the window's Properties dialog's Layout tab and change the appropriate dimension(s).

I find this little snippet handy when I want to confirm the terminal size as seen by the software and reported by the "stty" command:

tsize ()
{
stty -a | sed -n '/rows.*columns/ s/.*\(rows[^;][^;]*;[^;][^;]*\);.*/\1/p'
}

Randall Schulz