Re: python-2.2.2-1 Tkinter unsable with tcltk-20021218-1

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 06:54:38AM +0900, SUZUKI Hisao wrote:

Tkinter of python-2.2.2-1 is unsable with the recent tcltk-20021218-1.

FYI (not that it will matter because there will be 27 other reports of
this), I alerted Jason Tishler to the fact that my release of tcltk would
break the use of tk with python when I released tcltk.

So Jason is aware of the problem.

I'm sure he'll be appreciative of the patch, though.
Two things...

1) I don't think Hisao's statement is true:
You cannot make the Tkinter usable again by just recompiling the Python.
because there are special things you need to add to your cygwin system in order to compile python against tcltk, it appears. (like the tk-(fake) X headers...)

Those things are the "fake X" headers that cygwin-tk uses, since cygwin-tk is NOT AN X PROGRAM.

2) Therefore, I think Hisao's patch is the wrong way to do this -- because you'll end up with a weird mixture of non-X-based tk code and "true" X-based headers -- and you'd need X to be installed.

That can't be right.

I'm sure Jason has a much better understanding of what exactly needs to be done, so I won't pretend to give advice -- except that I don't think Hisao's patch is the Right Thing To Do.

But thanks for the effort; a bug report + a patch is a rare and appreciated thing.

--Chuck