Re: [ANN] Re: cyg-wrapper.sh

Luc Hermitte <hermitte@free.fr> wrote around 08 Dec 2002
20021208193753.GA44134983@ORLYN:">news:20021208193753.GA44134983@ORLYN:

>> > [2] This form has been privileged because of the MsWindows 9x
>> > series.
>>
>> Hmmm. If you mean that people who run Win9x are more likely to be
>> running old DOS programs that use 8.3, then ok; otherwise there's no
>> difference between NT-derived and 9x-type Windows in this respect --
>> that I know of.
>
> No. This is a scripting problem I had on MsWindows Me, and I don't
> remember any similar issue on Windows NT -- more tests should be done to
> be sure.
>
> The problem comes from pathnames having spaces. If we want to run:
>     appl "c:/Program Files/foo.txt" ~/bar.txt
> The parameters should be requoted before (/while ?) running xargs. I
> haven't spent enough time to find to something that works.

Yes. I am pretty sure that you'll have the same problem with pathnames
containing spaces on NT & its derivatives, too. So having the wrapper
generate the 8.3 form of the name probably isn't a bad idea, at least as
far as this issue goes. There might be other (side) effects.

Not to seem like I am competing with you or upstaging you, Luc, but I
want to announce (bec. I am assuming the readers of this thread might
have interest) that I have done my own WWW publication about how I start
(instantiate) GVIM from Cygwin's bash shell:

  http://home.att.net/~perlspinr/vim/VIMhelpers.html

It doesn't use your cyg-wrapper script because I wanted to do some more
elaborate stuff.

Readers "shopping" for a test editor to use in conjunction with Cygwin
are encouraged to check out GVIM 6.x (www.vim.org) -- it rocks. And then
use my script to run it from bash ;-).

  Best,
   Soren

--
"So, tell me, my little one-eyed one, on what poor, pitiful,
defenseless planet has my MONSTROSITY been unleashed?"