RE: NO huge packages, please!

Robert,

Again, I apologize for offending you. I am quite content with Setup. My approach is to find a reliable mirror and ISP, and I have managed both (mostly).

Note, however, that this exchange started with a person dealing with an unreliable modem link between his system and the Internet, so the issue is not the reliability or availability of the mirror server(s), but (effectively) of all mirrors. In this case, using multiple mirrors in Setup doesn't mitigate the underlying problem of an unreliable link.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 23:19 2002-11-07, Robert Collins wrote:
On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 05:25, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> While it's true that Setup does have a retry facility if something goes
> wrong during download, it's manual: if a failure occurs during package
> download, then when everything is done you get an alert stating that there
> was a problem and asking if you want to retry. Then you're taken back to
> the page of the wizard that downloads the package list and you pretty much
> have to start over.
>
> Far from ideal, really.

So offer a patch already. The use of multiple mirrors should really
reduce the need for this though.

Rob