From: J. David Bryan dbryan@bcpl.net
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:47:10 -0500
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: gdb hangs on a 486

On 30 Oct 2002 at 23:13, CBFalconer wrote:

> I have been trying out gdb in Cygwin, and found it to hang and/or crash
> under W98, running on a 486.

I tried gdb (the version you cited) with the windowed interface on a 486
running NT 4.0, and it appeared to work fine on a simple "hello, world"
test program.  Do you have steps to reproduce your problem?

Regarding the "i686" configuration, I believe Randall Schulz cited the
appropriate part of the gcc manual, i.e., unless specifically directed to
do so, the compiler will output i386 instructions.  I don't have a 486
datasheet handy, but I'm reasonably certain that the 486 had an illegal
instruction trap (the 386 did), so if a Pentium-only instruction was
encountered, you'd encounter an exception.  Are you getting illegal
instruction exceptions?

As a data point, I've run Cygwin on a 486 system for some years and never
had a problem related to the CPU configuration.

                                      -- Dave