Re: Problem with rsh

David Rothenberger wrote:

Check your /etc/passwd file and make sure there is no entry in the password field (the second field).  You want something like this:

someuser::11150:...

and not something like this:

someuser:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:11150:...

An easy way to check if this is the culprit is to try doing an
rlogin.  For me, this will ask me for a password and then succeed if I have an entry in the password field.  If the password field is empty, it succeeds without asking for a password.

Wham! Good answer! It works!

Actually I viewed the "unused_by_nt/2000/xp" string as ugly and replaced it with the traditional "*" instead. But you're right, if you put anything in there it gives me a Permission denied for "rsh <machine> <command>". Looks like some security checking got tightened up.

This does lead to a question as I believe some other services (ssh? exim? I forget) require that you put an actual passwd in /etc/passwd. They also described how to generate the crypt string. I've done this on my home machine so I copied that encrypted string to my work machine and I still get permission denied. Sounds like it's still a problem but at least I have a workaround for work. Thanks.

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

I've run into a major problem using rsh. Note that I've been using rsh
successfully for a while and many people here depend on being able to
rsh into the server. However now I get:

$ rsh server id
server.mydomain.com: Permission denied.

--