Re: Invalid arugment and IO Error with bunzip2

At 01:55 PM 10/22/2002 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>That is not what I saw.   After doing 1, most cygwin things worked, however, there
>>were .exe files installed on my disk that were no longer executable.   These were
>>things installed outside of cygwin.
>
>chmod a+x foo.exe

Yes, that would work, but why should I have to do that?   Am I supposed to
go to c: and do a find . -name "*.exe" | xargs chmod a+x ?   That is
not very user friendly....

>>>I'm amazed at the number of people who have incorrect /etc/passwd files.
>>
>>I would say that many people using cygwin, do not even know that they
>>have a /etc/passwd as it is created automatically by setup.   So, if the
>>setup program is not creating the correct thing, why would you be amazed if
>>there are many incorrect files around?
>
>I was working under the assumption that setup.exe created correct files
>since it uses mkpasswd and mkgroup to create files /etc/passwd and
>/etc/group.  So, telling people to run the same thing that setup.exe
>runs as a method to fix the problem "amazes" me.  I assume this has
>something to do with the -d switch to mkpasswd, which setup doesn't do.
>
>Apparently, I understand how this works and you don't.  So,
>I'm amazed and you're not.

I don't understand it that well myself, but as you pointed out, it is not
the same thing, but a different thing.   And, the default does not work.
The -d adds the current user and setup does not.   However, it logs you
in as the current user, which does not have an entry in the /etc/passwd file,
which causes all sorts of things to break.

>>>I haven't seen anyone say that running setup on a new computer doesn't work.
>>>It seems to be existing implementations that need tweaking.  I don't know
>>>why.
>>
>>That is not what we have seen.   After removing the install, and re-installing,
>>I could not get it to work without the above two changes.   Anyway, an update
>>should work as well.  Perhaps I did not remove all of it, but I tried....
>
>Removing the install and reinstalling is not the same as installing on a new
>computer.

Anyway, there seems to be what I would consider a serious problem with the
current setup and at least updating, if not fresh installs.
I have already received a few emails from folks
thanking me for showing them how to get cygwin working again on their machines.
I am just wondering if this is going to be something folks are going to have
to do with cygwin from this point on, or am I the only one that things this is
not the correct behavior?

-Bill