Re: Invalid arugment and IO Error with bunzip2

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 01:15:17PM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>At 11:56 AM 10/22/2002 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:49:16AM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>>>My guess is this problem is related to the ntsec stuff as are many
>>>recent posts.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but to get cygwin to
>>>work properly these days I had to do two things:
>>>
>>>1.  manually modify the /etc/passwd file mkpasswd -du mywindowslogin >>
>>>/etc/passwd Where mywindowslogin is the name of the account that you
>>>log into windows with.
>>>
>>>2.  set CYGWIN=nontsec
>>
>>There is no reason to do both.  If you are not going to use ntsec then
>>CYGWIN=nontsec should be equivalent to 1.3.12.
>
>That is not what I saw.   After doing 1, most cygwin things worked, however, there
>were .exe files installed on my disk that were no longer executable.   These were
>things installed outside of cygwin.

chmod a+x foo.exe

>>I'm amazed at the number of people who have incorrect /etc/passwd files.
>
>I would say that many people using cygwin, do not even know that they
>have a /etc/passwd as it is created automatically by setup.   So, if the
>setup program is not creating the correct thing, why would you be amazed if
>there are many incorrect files around?

I was working under the assumption that setup.exe created correct files
since it uses mkpasswd and mkgroup to create files /etc/passwd and
/etc/group.  So, telling people to run the same thing that setup.exe
runs as a method to fix the problem "amazes" me.  I assume this has
something to do with the -d switch to mkpasswd, which setup doesn't do.

Apparently, I understand how this works and you don't.  So,
I'm amazed and you're not.

>>I haven't seen anyone say that running setup on a new computer doesn't work.
>>It seems to be existing implementations that need tweaking.  I don't know
>>why.
>
>That is not what we have seen.   After removing the install, and re-installing,
>I could not get it to work without the above two changes.   Anyway, an update
>should work as well.  Perhaps I did not remove all of it, but I tried....

Removing the install and reinstalling is not the same as installing on a new
computer.

cgf