Re: Cygwin and NetHack - strncasecmp compile error

Brian Rowe wrote:
int _EXFUN(strcasecmp,(const char *, const char *));
688: extern.h
E int FDECL(strncmpi, (const char *,const char
*,int));

I don't understand why these lines conflict.
The only way I can think of for these two prototypes to conflict is if someone's playing preprocessor games. This is likely, since there is no universal standard for a case-insensitive string comparision function. Those are just two of several I've seen. So, there's probably some macro somewhere like this:

#define STRCASECMP(s1,s2) strcmpi((s1),(s2))

You could probably fix this by figuring out Nethack's portability system and making it choose the right version of STRCASECMP (or whatever the program calls the macro). But what I wonder is, why not use the native Win32 console version of Nethack? That will work without fuss.