Re: Moving cygwin discussions to Usenet? (e.g., alt.os.cygwin)

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 07:24:19PM -0700, Michael B. Parker wrote:
> Regarding the thread "Moving to Usenet?"
> (www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-07/msg00275.html) (which I found by via
> www.google.com/search?q=site:cygwin.com+usenet to see who else also wanted
> discussions on Usenet):
>
> I WILL FIRMLY 2ND Jonas Jensen's good suggestion

Do you have to shout about that?

> (http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2000-07/msg00206.html) for
> THE NEED TO MOVE DISCUSSIONS TO USENET, instead of, else in addition to, the
> present Mailing lists (www.cygwin.com/lists.html).

Your shouting again, please use *text* or _text_ to emphasize.

> While the mailing lists are an impressive and honorable effort, one doesn't
> want to have to sign up and manage a whole huge email list to just involved
> in a few issues.

How does this differ on the usenet?

> It's very off-putting, a waste of bandwidth, and only
> cost-effective if you're really involved.

You have a point there, a mailinglists avoids trolls and spammer
who are not really involved.

>While it might be okay for those
> already heavy involved (so they might not want to change anything), it
> definitely puts off newcomers, probably hundreds or thousands of people who
> would otherwise get involved (and so may not be hear to speak up).

I here them already, "Is there a Pinball program for Cygwin".

> To avoid
> the flood of emails I'd get if I'd subscribe, I'm having to read the EMAIL
> list with a WEB browser, yet reply via email; that wasn't the intended use;

Try procmail?

> but I would never want to store, sort thru, thread, and search the flood of
> emails I would get if I subscribed;

Your choise.

> Google is much better for that.  And for
> the millions of users on web email as Yahoo and Hotmail, such advanced
> filtering and threading of email typically isn't even possible, even if the
> user had the space to do it.

Well there you name a group, the biggest lusers (Herr von Wourms) are
to be found right here. They will spam, underquote, forget to
snip etc. If you want to use email use an email client or be quit.

> Email lists CAN work for an initial small number of very involved people,
> but not for a large crowd who are mostly loosely involved.

The Cygwin list seems to do fine, though a beginners list would be nice.

> And, in response to Chris Faylor (CGF@Cygnus.com)'s concern that
> "sources.redhat.com does not have the software, the capacity, or the
> manpower to operate a news server" ("However, if you think that this is a
> good idea, please do look into
> setting up something like an alt.os.cygwin newsgroup"), with today's tricks,
> MOVING TO USENET MAY NOT BE AS DIFFICULT AS IT APPEARS.

It never has been and merely consist off a newsgroup creation procedure.

> http://groups.google.com allows users to read and post to Usenet without
> subscribing to anything (so simple to use and no load on the source
> servers).

Please explain that.

> All you'd have to do is to find someone to host the master copy
> of the Usenet group, and you'd be set.

What is a mastercopy? I seriously doubt you know what you are
speaking about.

> I'm not experienced with hosting or
> starting a Usenet group, but if you're already (thankfully) going to the
> trouble to archive this email list on www.cygwin.com (which also DOES take
> the actual traffic of readers), it wouldn't seem that much harder to set up
> a real server.

Here you are right. Finally.

> However, though I don't know if he'll do it, MY GOOD FRIEND Matt Bartley

Are you starting to shout again?

> (see CC), who has extensive Usenet experience, MIGHT BE INTERESTED

Did he pass his knowledge to you? O dear.

> in
> helping with this, since he loves Linux & Unix, and something like
> www.cygwin.com which, clearly and strongly, brings this wonderful Unix stuff
> into the Windows world should make him very happy.

Throw a party.

> AND I WILL DONATE USE OF AN EXCHANGE SERVER for this purpose,

Let me guess, a commodore 64 or an amiga?

> if someone
> with Usenet experience will set it up.  (Unless it's enormous bandwidth with
> no funding for it (which doesn't seem likely if the postings which can be
> fed to other Usenet servers for reading)).   At C**ex, we're willing to
> donate Windows hosting for those who will help get it working.  See
> www.C**ex.com/Hosting/4Help for other offers.

A just a luser Spammer. Now I get it. I think you are steeply underestimating
the intelligence of the people on this list. Now go away.

--
"In any world menu, Canada must be considered the vichyssoise of
nations -- it's cold, half-French, and difficult to stir."