Re: Getting MAC address within C/C++-program in Windows2000

cgf-cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:
It's entirely possible that there is a problem with Cygwin's interface
but I really don't understand why the focus shifted to using Windows
mechanisms when a potential actual cygwin solution exists.
Right on, Chris. If the Cygwin mechanism is broken, it should be made to work instead of rolling your own outside of Cygwin.

For what it's worth, in my time of maintiaining the Winsock FAQ, I've come across probably 10 different ways to get the MAC address on Windows. One works on NetBIOS systems, one on IP-only systems, one uses SNMP, a few are hacks, several are indirect methods... The FAQ itself documents 3 or 4 of them and points to a few more. Then I lost interest in keeping track of that mess. Point being: it's much better to let Cygwin handle messes like this.