Re: Which font is rxvt using?

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, James Garrison wrote:

> I have a strange problem with rxvt and fonts that a search through the
> archives didn't solve.
>
> I have two machines, (A) and (B), both running Win2K SP3 (I had the
> same problem under SP2 also), with a relatively current Cygwin
> installed (from within the last three weeks). I have an rxvt shortcut
> on each desktop that executes:
>
>  > D:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -bg white -fg black -fn "Letter Gothic"
>  >       -ls -sr -sl 1000 -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i
>
> On system (A), this works fine. I really like the appearance of the
> Letter Gothic font and want to use it on system B.  However, on system
> B the displayed font is not Letter Gothic (I can't tell what it is),
> and each character cell is about three times wider than it should be.
> It's unusable.
>
> The only difference between the two systems is that (A) has XFree86
> installed while (B) does not.  On (A) I explicitly deleted the DISPLAY
> environment variable in Windows (months ago, when I installed rxvt) to
> prevent rxvt from trying to find the local X server, and it has worked
> (and continues to work) fine.
>
> I do not have a Windows Letter Gothic font installed on EITHER system.
> My understanding is that rxvt in Windows mode uses only Windows fonts.
> However, I also checked all my XFree86 fonts on (A) and could not find
> Letter Gothic there either.
>
> By all rights, I *SHOULDN'T* be getting Letter Gothic to work on
> system (A) but it does, and I really want to find out why. Is there
> any way to determine which font file is being used by a running
> instance of rxvt on system (A)?  Could this possibly be determined by
> running rxvt under the debugger?  If so, anyone have any pointers (pun
> intended)?
>
> TIA,

There is a great X tool, called 'editres'.  It requests an X widget tree
from any X application and lets you see and modify any attributes of any
widget (including the font names).  Unfortunately, this requires the
cooperation of the application, and rxvt doesn't seem to cooperate.
Xterm does, though, so if your xterms use the same font, you should be
able to see its name using editres.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file