qpopper authentication problem

	I seem to have developed a problem with qpopper and thought i'd
bother the list before i tried Pierre Humblet,
it could be a qpopper specific question in which case feel free to tell me
where to go, er point me in the right direction ;)

I have it running from inetd with inetd as a service (running as SYSTEM),
(this works for ftpd and telnetd so i'm happy with my inetd setup.) the
inetd.conf entry is
pop3   stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/local/sbin/popper popper -p 2
(-p 2 allows plain text passwords)

permissions on /var/mail are as follows

drwxrwxr-x    2 SYSTEM   mail            0 Sep  3 22:48 mail

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-5.0 JHARY 1.3.12(0.54/3/2) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown

(mail group exits for exim which is working fine :)

the error i get from my pop client is
"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
rejected. Account: 'jhary.unsane.co.uk', Server: 'jhary.unsane.co.uk',
Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [SYS/PERM] Temporary drop
/var/mail/.vince.pop not owned by vince.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No,
Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

client is outlook express 5, yes i know i should get a real one but it used
to work.

this was working until recently when i must have changed something, sadly i
have no idea what. all i can think i did was the usual upgrades of installed
cygwin software.
any ideas ?

as an aside since i see exim is now available from the installer (must have
missed the anouncement.) i came across a replacement for the bsd mail
program here http://omnibus.uni-freiburg.de/~gritter/ that will compile
nicely with only minor adjustments due to windows dislike of 'special'
filenames (rename aux.c to aux1.c and a s/aux.c/aux1.c across the source
although this must be done on a linux/unix box due to the aforementioned
filename issue ) if you make a symlink from exim to sendmail (messy but we
arent getting sendmail soon are we ?)

and i'd just like to add, many thanks to all the cygwin developers for
helping make windows more bearable.

Vince Hoffman     NT Administrator
Euro RSCG Circle (London)
P: 020 7959 7576  M: 0777 5822213