From: "Jason Tishler" <jason@tishler.net>
To: "Jim George" <jim.george@blueyonder.co.uk>
Cc: "Cygwin" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 1:07 PM
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated Cygwin Package: procmail-3.22-7

> Jim,
>
> Please keep you replies on-list.
I believe I've apologised already but in case...sorry, ?I changed t oMS
Outlook and it apparently doesn't follow reply-to mangling?

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 10:34:34PM +0100, Jim George wrote:
> > thanks for that I managed to get both my users retrieving mail
> > however.  I have a strange problem.
> >
> > My new user is working perfectly, however my original user has stopped
> > having mail delivered to the custom mail directory I have defined in
> > procmail.
> >
> > The following is the output of the fetchmail log (jg014a8950 is my
> > original user)
> >
> >     fetchmail: 1 message for jg014a8950 at pop3.blueyonder.co.uk (5303
octets).
> >     fetchmail: reading message jg014a8950@pop3.blueyonder.co.uk:1 of 1
(5303 octets) procmail:
> >     Renaming bogus mailbox "/var/spool/mail/Administrator" info
"/var/spool/mail/BOGUS.Administrator.em8"
> >     fetchmail:  flushed
> >     fetchmail: sleeping at Wed Aug 28 22:23:22 2002
>
> The above indicates a permissions problem with your Administrator's
> mailbox.  I have verified this by grep-ing and reading the procmail
> code.
>
> I have been able to (almost completely) reproduce your problem by
> changing permissions from:
>
>     -rw-------    1 root     mail        67538 Aug 29 06:55 root

>     -rw-------    1 jt       mail        67538 Aug 29 06:55 root
>
> This produces the following fetchmail log:
>
> fetchmail: 1 message for jtishler at sa-bwmail1.esr.hp.com (folder
Inbox/test).
> fetchmail: reading message jtishler@sa-bwmail1.esr.hp.com:1 of 1 (2457
header octets) fetchmail:  (6189 body octets) procmail: Renaming bogus
mailbox "/var/spool/mail/root" info "/var/spool/mail/BOGUS.root.ZmiUGD"
> procmail: Couldn't create "/var/spool/mail/root"
>
> However, in my case mail was still being appended to root's mailbox and
> the extra "Couldn't create" error message is generated.
>
> Nevertheless, my suggestion is to check and fix the permissions of your
> Administrator's mailbox.  Does this solve your problem?

<snip>

I've tried several variations of ownership and permissions on
/var/spool/mail/Administrator but I still get the same result.  BTW you are
right the mail is still delivered but I get loads of empty 'BOGUS' files
lieing around.

The BOGUS.Administrator and Administrator files have the same permissions
and ownerships as each other as well!?

I thought I would start from a level playing field so I removed all BOGUS
files and restarted fetchmail as SYSTEM.  In these circumstances procmail
(according to the manual) is supposed to wake up and create the correct
filename (called $LOGNAME) with the correct permissions.  However when I did
an ls I noticed that the Administrator file was owned by SYSTEM.SYSTEM and
the fetchmail log complained again about a BOGUS mail file.

At this point I logged in from another box on my network and this is where
things got screwy.  In my console window everything showed as ..

total 20
drwxrwxrwx    2 Administ None        16384 Jun 24 22:01
BOGUS.Administrator.GkIC
drwxrwxrwx    5 Administ None            0 Aug 22 04:02 ..
-rw-------    1 dani     Users           0 Aug 28 22:17 dani
-rwxrwxrwx    1 SYSTEM   SYSTEM          0 Aug 29 23:32
BOGUS.Administrator.ee8N
-rwxrwxrwx    1 SYSTEM   SYSTEM          0 Aug 29 23:33 Administrator
-rw-rw-rw-    1 Administ Administ        0 Aug 29 23:36 file
drwxrwxrwx    3 Administ None         4096 Aug 29 23:36 .

>From my remote window (using rlogin from another cygwin box) the same files
showed thus...
total 20
drwxr-xr-x    2 Administ Administ    16384 Jun 24 22:01
BOGUS.Administrator.GkIC
drwxr-xr-x    5 Administ Administ        0 Aug 22 04:02 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 Administ Administ        0 Aug 28 22:17 dani
-rw-r--r--    1 Administ Administ        0 Aug 29 23:32
BOGUS.Administrator.ee8N
-rw-r--r--    1 Administ Administ        0 Aug 29 23:33 Administrator
-rw-r--r--    1 Administ Administ        0 Aug 29 23:38 file
drwxr-xr-x    3 Administ Administ     4096 Aug 29 23:38 .

Notice anything strange?

Please can you tell me how I get myself out of this pickle?

Cheers,

Jim