Re: standalone cygwin programs that use "/tmp" don't work

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:55:35PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 12:48:02PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 04:28:43PM +1200, John R. McPherson wrote:
> >> Our windows distribution includes these binaries as well as cygwin1.dll.
> >
> >Do you distribute also the source code of the Cygwin version you're
> >using according to the Cygwin license?
>
> I haven't seen an answer to this question and it isn't clear from your
> web site where one would get the source files for the GPLed executables
> you have in your distribution.

I replied to this to Corinna, but as I got an error message from the
list server I had no idea who got it or not.
So I've forwarded the bounced message - see below.

> If you are distributing GPLed binaries like the cygwin DLL, tar, wget,
> etc.  you need to also make the source code available.  It doesn't
> matter that the source code is available elsewhere on the web.

We have the source code to wget, pdftohtml, etc available for download
as part of the "source code" download link that is on the website
I referenced. Some of these packages have been very slightly modified (mostly
Makefiles). As I said, our project is all GPL and GPL-compatible
code.

We use the cygwin dll as downloaded from a cygwin mirror. So you want
us to mirror the whole cygwin source code as well, in New Zealand,
where we have to pay data charges for international traffic in both
directions? The GPL says that if someone we give binaries
to asks us for the source code, we are obliged to do so. I don't
see how we're not complying...

John McPherson

Mail rejected: List address must be in To: or Cc: headers.
Contact cygwin-owner@cygwin.com if you have questions about this. (#5.7.2)