RE: Cygwin takes *forever* to run gcc's configure!

Hi,

The Norton AntiVirus controls offer you a direct and "sanctioned" way to disable or suspend virus checking without resort to subterfuge such as invoking the debugger (assuming you have it installed, that is--is that option even available if you don't have a debugger installed on your system? I don't think so, but I'm not going to uninstall Visual C++ just to find out...).

Personally, I don't enable my Norton Anti-Virus for continual monitoring. I only use it on demand, either to make a full sweep (on rare occasions) or when I receive a file that I find suspicious. I've never had an active infection and only rarely have I ever discovered a virus in the first place. Discounting the obvious ones, I could (if my memory were perfect) almost certainly count on one hand the number of times I found a virus when I wasn't already expecting one.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA