mysql troubles in cygwin

Cygwin,

First, congratulations and praise to the cygwin developers, it is a very
impressive package and one that I'm using to do a lot of work for Bioperl, a
perl-based bioinformatics effort.

Everything I've tried so far in cygwin has worked very well, and the
installs have been straightforward, with the exception of mysql, version
3.23.51. I do the configure with the -prefix option as '/usr/local/mysql' as
recommended, the compile is seamless, the chgrp and chown commands work, the
scripts/mysql_install_db command works, I can start the database
(bin/safe_mysqld &) and I can see it running in Task Manager, but I'm unable
to log in to the database:

/usr/local/mysql>bin/mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 2013: Signal 14
020812 11:30:28 mysqld restarted
Lost connection to MySQL server during query

More details:

Windows NT 2000 v. 5
Cygwin 1.3.12

The BOSBORNE.err file says:

020812 11:30:28  mysqld restarted
Warning: One can only use the --user switch if running as root
/usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

You may argue that this is a mysql question, but I'm pretty sure that this
is a problem specific to cygwin, I've been able to do the corresponding
install on Linux, it works. Also I've found no useful information at
www.mysql.com. Has anyone gotten mysql to run on a recent cygwin release? My
gut feeling tells me that this is a configuration or permissions issue, I've
tried all sorts of chmods and chowns and chgrps, nothing has worked,
obviously. I also see the same problem if the bin/mysql executable is setuid
root.

Thank you,

Brian O.