Re: Date Time Stamps?

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Arthur Taylor wrote:

> Just in case you all were curious, I did figure it out.
>
> Turns out that Win 2k behaves as if the environment variable TZ=EDT4
> (shows all files using EDT even if the file was created in EST) (Note:
> Windows changes its behavior to EST5 when appropriate).
>
> Cygwin, on the other hand, behaves as a reasonable UNIX machine with
> TZ=EST5EDT (shows files which were created in EST using EST, and shows
> files created in EDT using EDT) (Note: Cygwin / UNIX never have to
> change their behavior).
>
> Unfortunately this results in having "ls -l" and "dir" appear to return 2
> different times, for a certain set of files.  One solution: Add a variable
> TZ=EDT4 using:
> "control panel"->system->advanced->Environment Variables"
>
> Problem: one needs to change TZ twice a year.
>
> Question 1: Is there a tool in CYGWIN to change environment variables without
> going to "control panel"?

Yes.  If you run bash first, you can use /etc/profile (or $HOME/.profile)
to set the variables.  If you run cygwin tools from the command prompt,
use batch files.

> Question 2: Is there any way to make Win 2k behave as a TZ=EST5EDT machine?

Wrong list. :-)  Seriously, though, I'd try searching the Microsoft
website.
	Igor

> Thanks
> Arthur
>
> Arthur Taylor wrote:
>
> > This is a weird one...
> >
> > I have a file in:
> > d:\cygwin\home\tayloraa\etc\newRock\labels.doc
> >
> > According to an MS-command prompt its date is:
> > 3/12/2002 10:06p
> >
> > According to a "ls -l" from a cygwin bash shell its date is:
> > Mar 12 21:06
>

> --

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file