Re: Valid file-name characters

At 16:18 2002-07-22, David A. Cobb wrote:

It only makes sense to me to escape characters that are a real problem ( vs. a nuisance ) for one system or the other. The ones I'm sure of in Windoz are the colon and slashes. Would Linux, for example, allow a file with (shell-escapd) backslashes? There are others, but I haven't done the research yet.
See the attached GIF for Windows' reproach. If you don't care to do that, I'll transcribe:

A filename [sic] cannot contain any of the following characters:

If (_if_) we're voting, count my vote on this whole idea as: AGAINST.

If this change is implemented, please, please make it an option. ("Cygwin is not Unix.")

Needless to say (?), if this is done, "cygpath" needs to reflect it, too.

--
David A. Cobb

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA