cron and uid

I'm trying to run stuff through cron and I'm
experiencing a couple of problems:
1. The process being launched by cron doesn't see my
user mounts.
2. The process being launched by cron isn't able to
cvs to the cvs server.

These two point to the fact that the launched process
doesn't run as me.  I believe it is running as SYSTEM.

My questions are:
1. Is this a bug or a feature.
2. If it's a bug, can it be fixed and is there a
workaround (for the second problem, I just created
system mounts to work around the first problem)?

Thank you,
Noel