Re: Use of PROMPTING

If all you want is to change your prompt colors, then you can do this by
modifying the text file /etc/profile. You can change the PS1 prompt line that
it contains to what you want. For example, I changed it to the following (to
make things brighter, mainly):

export PS1='\[\033]0;\w\007
\033[1;32m\]\u@\h \[\033[1;33m\w\033[1;37m\]

This won't change colors for much of anything else than the prompt (and in part
for ls --color).

Different applications can also have their colors customized (each application
seem to support its own method). For example, for vim, I copied the file
C:\cygwin\usr\share\vim\vim61\gvimrc_example.vim to my home directory and
renamed it to .vimrc (this enabled a lot of things including syntax
highlighting). Additionally, I changed the colors it uses by adding this line
in this .vimrc:

  colorscheme denis

A list of valid color schemes can be found in the
C:\cygwin\usr\share\vim\vim61\colors directory. I created my own colorscheme by
making a copy of the zellner.vim and renaming it to denis.vim (then modifying
that copy until it looked good on my machine).

The only color that I've not been able to modify (and would like to) is the
default color used by ls to display directories (with the --color option). It
is in a light blue which is hard to read. I tried different things but
eventually gave up (I think I read about a bug in one of the messages as well
but I don't recall exactly). It is usable as is so for now, it will do (until I
can find more free time to play with colors :-).

Disclaimer: I'm just a beginner at cygwin/Linux so for everything above, there
may well be better ways of doing things.

-D