RE: setup.exe and disk fragmentation

Setup downloads to a temporary file, which it then renames (no file
copying at all).
Setup subsequently extracts directly to the destination file with no
temporary files at all.

Temporary files are used for a few things:
1) package database housekeeping (making setup sort-of transactional).
2) Scheduled file replacements on reboots.

Temporary files are deleted as soon as possible.

In short: I don't know why you see this, but someone (not me) needs to
show convincing cause for this, either from source code or filemon
traces or something.

As it is, I'm going to worry about other things :}.

Rob