vim swap files persist after exiting

Noticed some new behavior with the current public release:

I may be editing a file say "junk.tex" in "vim", then start an
application from within vim, say with ":!yap junk.dvi &", then
exit vim without closing the application.  When I do so, the vim
swap file ".junk.tex.swp" remains in existence.  If I try to
remove it with "rm .junk.tex.swp", the rm command doesn't
complain but the file doesn't go away either.  If I try to
restore "junk.tex" from the swap file, I get screen output "Vim:
Caught deadly message SEGV" and find myself at the command line
with a frozen prompt.

There is an easy workaround of course, "Don't do that!".
However the swap files didn't use to hang around like this in
earlier cygwin releases.

Potential cygwin bug, non-cygwin bug, pilot error?  If a cygwin
bug, further information wanted?