cvs failing due to something adding ^m to my CVSROOT

I've been all over the faq, and docs, and see lots of discussion on how to avoid
the tar pit of Carriage Return and Linefeed, but I'm stumped -
after my current update of cygwin I can no longer access my cvs server, cause something
tacks a ^M on to my cvs root. Halp!
Here's my setup: (which was working)

last weeks cygwin on a win2k PC
cvs server on a (slackware) linux box.

>From the cygwin side a cvs status gets me:

cvs status >& junk
contents of junk:

Cannot access /home/cvsadmin/cvsroot^M/CVSROOT
No such file or directory

Note I had to manually add a fake ^M to the above line cause cutting and pasting
in windows treated the ^M I see in my junk file to turn into a new line instead..

I've got CVSROOT set in my .profile and .bashrc, and in my user profile on w2k..
If I manually type in a cvsroot it gets a bit further, but not much:
(names changed to protect the guilty:

cvs -d :pserver:myname@1.2.3.4:/home/cvsadmin/cvsroot status >& junk
contents of junk:

cvs server: Examining .
cvs server: failed to create lock directory for `/home/cvsadmin/cvsroot/stuff/aproject/src
' (/home/cvsadmin/cvsroot/stuff/aproject/src^M/#cvs.lock): No such file or directory
cvs server: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/home/cvsadmin/cvsroot/stuff/aproject/src^M'
cvs [server aborted]: read lock failed - giving up

again, I had to edit the email above and type in a fake ^M to show how it really looks..

I'll keep reading the CrLf docs, but I'm currently stumped..
My mount of cygwin is binmode,
so is /usr/bin where cvs lives
my working directory is also binmode

I'm going to try mucking with these mount modes to see what happens next..
I'm guessing the info is there in the docs, it's just that I don't get it..
Help!