Question on the new behavior of setup.exe

Hi,

Back on 25Mar2002, Robert Collins replied to a posting which mentioned
an oddly named subdir in a local hosts download dir.  Earlier today, I tried
to dowload the latest updates to a local dir with the newest setup.exe,
running from a W2k PC and got errors about not being able to find a subdir
with a long name containing what looked like printf format sequences.

I tried several http and ftp sources for the download, but failed every time.

When I got home, I again downloaded the current setup.exe and updated
my local repository, this time without problem, but when I updated my Cygwin
installation I got a warning that my setup.ini was out of date.  Nonetheless,
it appears that the newer packages were installed.

Looking in the download directory, I now see a new subdir, called
'ftp%3a%2f%2fmirrors.rcn.net%2fmirrors%2fsources.redhat.com%2fcygwin'
which contains the newly downloaded contrib and latest dirs and the new
setup.ini.  The setup.log and the setup.log.full files under the download dir
(the parent of the above named dir) contain the history of the downloads,
but not of the installs.  The setup.log and setup.log.full in the Cygwin root
dir contain no information on today's install, either - only the info from my last
installation upgrade on 2002/03/17.

I really like the improved look and organization of the new setup.exe, but
can someone clarify what it is doing behind the scenes?

Thanks,
Doug Wyatt