Bash history slow first time

Hi,

I searched the archives but came up empty.  Sorry if this has already
been asked...

The first time I use [Ctrl]-r to scroll back through this command
history, cygwin often hangs for a while, and there is a lot of disc
activity.

Here's the scenario in more detail:

- Start bash for the first time since last reboot of Win2k
- Use [Ctrl]-r to scroll back through the command history
- Hit [Tab] once I've found the desired command to exit out of the
history search, and leave the command on the prompt so I can further
edit it
- This is where things hang up for a while.  The disc access LED
lights up like a christmas tree.  Anything I type gets queued up until
the disc access stops and things free up.

This only happens the first time I use the command history after a
reboot of the machine.  From then on, even if I exit and then open a
new cygwin instance, everything works just fine.  This has been
happening to me for a long time now (over a few upgrades of cygwin),
but I've never gotten around to complaining about it till now. ;)

Thanks!

Ian

PS, And thanks for such an awesome product.  I don't think I could
stand using Windows without it!

.