RE: security?

At 05:58 PM 1/31/2002, Ling F. Zhang wrote:
>well, yeah...that's why I am saying, 4 fun.
>okay, let me split up the question then:
>1) what I want is NOT to keep someone from using
>cygwin, but wonder I can group some user so that I can
>mess with the permission of files...you know, the
>chmod xxx filename thingy.  I know, those file can be
>accessed from windows explorer anyway...but what the
>heck, I said it's just for fun and for practicing my
>newly learned unix skill.

OK, then you should just do it.  You can set permissions to your heart's
content on NT/W2K/XP using NTFS partitions and setting 'ntsec' in your
CYGWIN environment variable.  Look at the documentation at the Cygwin
site and /usr/doc/Cygwin for relevant information.

>2) then I do want to be able to block someone from
>SSHing in...how do I do that?  I can't created those
>etc/.passwd caz passwd won't run in win9x...can anyone
>give me detail on how to setup my sshd?? (assume that
>I know nothing pleaes).

There's lots of talk about this in the email list archives.
There's also documentation on Cygwin specific issues in /usr/doc/Cygwin.
General SSH information is available through the man/info pages for
ssh and sshd.