Re: Scripting Installs? missing setup.hints

[It's not necessary to Cc me.  That's why I set the Reply-To.  I am
reading the cygwin@cygwin.com mailing list: http://cygwin.com/bugs.html
]

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 11:22:36AM -0500, Michael Adler wrote:

>> The information is in the setup.ini file.  Eventually all info will be moved
>> to setup.hints.
>>
>> >Is this the responsibility of the package maintainers?
>>
>> Yes.  If they feel like doing so.
>
>If I create them, would you incorporate them?

Sorry, no.  That's up to the maintainers.  There is no strong need to do this.

>> >How is the central setup.ini generated?
>>
>> With a perl script.
>
>Fascinating. Is it in the CVS? It's not jumping out at me.

It's part of the sources.redhat.com infrastructure.  It is in CVS but it
is not intended for general use.  I don't know if it is even available
for anonymous CVS access.

>> >How could one roll their own?
>>
>> By writing a program.
>
>That much I've figured out, but I appreciate these helpful suggestions.
>
>The missing part was how to generate setup.ini without all the
>setup.hints. I knew that you had to do it somehow, but I can't find it in
>the CVS. So, should I chop up your setup.ini and give it back to you as
>setup.hints (or just use locally)? or is your current solution better and
>shareable?

I'm not interested in supporting another package so your best option is
to write your own.

I am not really understanding your confusion, though.  Some of the
information is in setup.hints, some is in setup.ini.  setup.hint takes
precedence, of course.

Eventually all of the information will be in setup.hint but there is no
pressing need for this to be the case.

In case it isn't really clear, I'm not really interested in making
setup.exe a general purpose tool for you to use internally.  That has
never been a goal, and I see nothing but headaches from moving in that
direction.

cgf