Install problems

I just installed cygwin today (after a long while of not having it
installed...) and when I started up bash I discovered that $HOME wasn't
being set correctly!  After looking through the faq, I thought this might be
related to me having a windows login name with a space in it, so I edited
/etc/profile to explicitly set my username to james.  This didn't work.
After doing a bit of testing, I discovered that the following structure:

    if [ -z "$HOME" ]; then
        HOME="/home/$USER"
    fi

was failing to set the HOME variable correctly.  I was able to fix this by
removing the if/fi statements and just arbitrarily setting the HOME
variable.  Am I going to have other problems doing this?  Also, is there a
known reason that the HOME variable wasn't being set correctly in the first
place (it was just being set to $USER.)?

My operating system is Windows ME, if that's any help...

James Potts
(james@verge-rpg.com)