Re: Locating bzip2 package

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 11:01:34PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>

>>> I think it would make more sense to have it up there with the other
>>> archive utilities, but eh; what do I know?  :-P
>>>

>> bzip2 is not an archiving tool.  It compresses files.  It does not
>> archive them.
>
>Just to chime in here (as the bzip maintainer), Chris is correct.
>bzip2, like gzip/gunzip, compresses single files.  Tar is used to
>archive collections of files into a single package -- tar is an
>archiver.  Zip is both an archiver AND a compressor.  Now, because
>archives are often compressed, you frequently see tools from both
>categories used together (.tar.bz2, tar.gz) -- but that doesn't make
>bzip2 an archive tool.  It's still a compressor.
>
>The fact is, these groupings (Utils, Development, Archive, etc) will
>never please everybody -- and if someone is missing a tool that they
>want, and can't find it in the "categories" list...it seems obvious (to
>me, at least) that the user should run setup again and check out the
>'Full' package list -- which is alphabetically organized, without those
>pesky categories -- for the desired item.  (run on sentence, anyone?)

Except that there is no "Full" list yet.  Isn't that a feature of newer
setup.exe's?

It actually doesn't seem that much of a stretch to me that even if
bzip2 was located under a Category called "Woman's Underwear" you'd
*eventually* be able to find it by clicking on categories until
it was unearthed.  Either that or clicking on View.

cgf