Re: Locating bzip2 package

Christopher Faylor wrote:

 >> I think it would make more sense to have it up there with the other
 >> archive utilities, but eh; what do I know?  :-P
 >>

 > bzip2 is not an archiving tool.  It compresses files.  It does not
 > archive them.

Just to chime in here (as the bzip maintainer), Chris is correct.
bzip2, like gzip/gunzip, compresses single files.  Tar is used to
archive collections of files into a single package -- tar is an
archiver.  Zip is both an archiver AND a compressor.  Now, because
archives are often compressed, you frequently see tools from both
categories used together (.tar.bz2, tar.gz) -- but that doesn't make
bzip2 an archive tool.  It's still a compressor.

The fact is, these groupings (Utils, Development, Archive, etc) will
never please everybody -- and if someone is missing a tool that they
want, and can't find it in the "categories" list...it seems obvious (to
me, at least) that the user should run setup again and check out the
'Full' package list -- which is alphabetically organized, without those
pesky categories -- for the desired item.  (run on sentence, anyone?)

--Chuck