Re: Scripting Installs?

Glenn,

These concerns about the size of Cygwin are becoming ever less sensible.
It's 2002, and storage is extremely cheap, fast and capacious. It hardly
seems worth the bother to try to pare down a Cygwin install to save a few
dozen (or even a hundred) megabytes of disk space. Now that I've installed
the new Cygwin TeX packages (adding 95 megabytes or so), my full Cygwin
install occupies about 310 megabytes.

I guess that's not tiny, but hardly excessive considering what Cygwin makes
available and possible on an otherwise agonizingly impoverished (yet itself
quite sizeable) operating system. A comparable set of capabilities under
Solaris, *BSD, Linux or MacOS X would occupy pretty much the same amount of
space (regardless of whether they have the status of "add-on" or
"3rd-party" or simply "optional"), so I see no basis for complaints about size.

If you've installed onto NTFS (recommended, if it's an option for the OS
you're running), you can always apply Windows built-in disk compression to
some or all of your installation as a quick-and-dirty, transparent (though
modest) space-saving measure.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 09:07 2002-01-29, you wrote:

>Well 39 meg to run ssh is a bit much, even by Windows-standards (grin),
>but I will play with your last suggestion and see what I need to get just
>ssh running. (Which is really all our sales guys need) :)
>
>Thanks!
>Glenn
>
>---
>Glenn E. Sieb, Sys Admin

[ Title abbreviated to save that all-precious "network bandwidth." ]