Re: how to open *.htm and *.lnk

Hongxun,

Here are the elements you need:

For BASH users (equivalents presumably exist in other shells):

% help test
   -h FILE        True if file is a symbolic link.
   -L FILE        True if file is a symbolic link.

% man readlink

% cygpath --help

Now, write a BASH (or other shell) script that, after using the
aforementioned primitives to get a native Windows name for the target file,
invokes:

         cmd /q /c start /b WindowsFileName

You will then no longer need to construct one-off BAT files to open files
from Cygwin. See my message from yesterday with the Subject "CYGWIN=ntsec
Pragmattics" (sic) for a caveat about file permissions and use of the "cmd
..." invocation I mentioned just above.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA